Beach Haven Public Library and Museum
Third Street and Beach Avenue
Beach Haven, NJ

Beach Haven School Timeline - Museum Display

1884 - Mary Alvaretta Sprague Stratton schooled children at her Second St. home.

1885-1886 - Miss Lily Bates schooled children in the parlor of her father’s hotel, the Bay View, which later became the famous Beach Haven House. It was located on the northeast corner of Centre St. & Bay Ave.

1886 - State approved School District #50 for the Beach Haven residents. Construction began on an empty lot on Third St. It was only a 1 room schoolhouse.

1887-1912 - By 1887 an addition was built onto the front of the building, making it a 2 room school.

1912 - School was built on Beach Ave. between Seventh & Eighth Sts. It was a 4 room schoolhouse. From the second floor, a student could sit at his or her desk and see both the ocean and the bay.

1924-1925 - As the Beach Haven population grew, so did the need for more classrooms. In 1924-1925, 2 classes were schooled at the Quaker Meeting House. This was between Second & Centre Sts., where the Kynett Methodist Church currently stands.

1926 - A new addition was added to the west side of the school. A near duplicate of the front half was constructed, making it an 8 room schoolhouse.

1965 - Residents voted for school additions; due to increased enrollment.

1967 - Two classrooms added on Seventh St. side of building. All purpose room (gymnasium with adjoining stage, dressing rooms, lunchroom & activities room).


We have a wealth of material about the Beach Haven School in our Museum Archives. From the time of it's inception, until the present. The PTA Publicity books show the activities of the children, and the ways the town of Beach Haven paid for the school and the additions in 1967. We are very proud of our local history and invite everyone to see the new displays in both the museum and the Children's Room. 

Beach Haven School Timeline
1884 - Mary Alvaretta Sprague Stratton schooled children at her 
Second St. home.
1885-1886 Miss Lily Bates schooled children in the parlor of her father’s 
hotel, the Bay View, which later became the famous Beach Haven House. It was located on the northeast corner of Centre St. & Bay Ave. 
1886 - State approved School District #50 for the Beach Haven residents. Construction began  on an empty lot on Third St. It was only a 1 room schoolhouse.
1887-1912 By 1887 an addition was built onto the front of the building, making it a 2 room school.
School was built on Beach Ave. between Seventh & Eighth Sts. It was a 4 room schoolhouse. From the second floor, a student could sit at his or her desk and see both the ocean and the bay.
1924-1925 As the Beach Haven population grew, so did the need for more classrooms. In 1924-1925, 2 classes were schooled at the Quaker Meeting House. This was between Second & Centre Sts., where the Kynett Methodist Church currently stands.
A new addition was added to the west side of the school. A near duplicate of the front half was constructed, making it an 8 room schoolhouse. 
1965 Residents voted for school additions; due to increased enrollment.
1967 Two classrooms added on Seventh St. side of building. All purpose room (gymnasium with adjoining stage, dressing rooms, lunchroom & activities room).
Beach Haven School Timeline
1884 - Mary Alvaretta Sprague Stratton schooled children at her 
Second St. home.
1885-1886 Miss Lily Bates schooled children in the parlor of her father’s 
hotel, the Bay View, which later became the famous Beach Haven House. It was located on the northeast corner of Centre St. & Bay Ave. 
1886 - State approved School District #50 for the Beach Haven residents. Construction began  on an empty lot on Third St. It was only a 1 room schoolhouse.
1887-1912 By 1887 an addition was built onto the front of the building, making it a 2 room school.
School was built on Beach Ave. between Seventh & Eighth Sts. It was a 4 room schoolhouse. From the second floor, a student could sit at his or her desk and see both the ocean and the bay.
1924-1925 As the Beach Haven population grew, so did the need for more classrooms. In 1924-1925, 2 classes were schooled at the Quaker Meeting House. This was between Second & Centre Sts., where the Kynett Methodist Church currently stands.
A new addition was added to the west side of the school. A near duplicate of the front half was constructed, making it an 8 room schoolhouse. 
1965 Residents voted for school additions; due to increased enrollment.
1967 Two classrooms added on Seventh St. side of building. All purpose room (gymnasium with adjoining stage, dressing rooms, lunchroom & activities room).
Beach Haven Public Library
Children's Classic Books and Dolls From Around the World

The Classic Books are from the Beach Haven School, and were donated to our library. The Dolls from Around the World were donated by one of our favorite patrons. We hope you enjoy the display.

Veterans Display
Outside of the library is a Blue Star Memorial By-Way Marker. It's the 36th in New Jersey and is on the ground with the flagpole. The memorial is for all veterans who have served our country... whether civilian or military.

Inside we have our Display of Veterans from Beach Haven who served from the Civil War until the Vietnam War. There is also a tribute to those who lost their lives during WWII and the Korean War.

We are asking that anyone who has lived in Beach Haven and was a veteran of any war, or is still in the military, to please bring in or email a photo of their veteran along with a description of what war they served in and what capacity. This material will be placed in a binder for our Museum Archives. Please email any info to: BHPL@comcast.net. Attention: Anna 
Counter
Counter